Home Page | The Story | The Project | Update History | Contact


Project Log:  Monday, October 5, 2009
Home Page > The Project > Project Logs > 10/5/09

One might ask what magical occurrence came about that led to the sudden beginning of this project, after so long a delay.  Well, it's a long-ish story, details of which are not particularly germane nor interesting to the dear reader.

The short version is that we decided not to proceed with another project that had been waiting even longer, and which I intended to complete first:  a 1960 Lyman 23 runabout.  After dragging my feet for years, and coming to the unpleasant realization during that time that the boat was in far worse structural condition than I'd ever dreamed or hoped, I sought professional help (no, for the boat) to get a better idea of the repair procedure required for the myriad hull issues.  I even briefly let myself believe that perhaps I could afford to hire this individual to do the hull work for me, which would be a load off my mind and would free me up to do just the work I really wanted to do on this particular boat--cosmetics and installations. 

Suffice it to say that the process would have been far more drawn out and labor-intensive than I was interested in--not to mention shockingly (yet understandably) costly were I to hire the work out--and after various consultations I decided to sell the boat.  Fortunately, she sold almost immediately (mainly because of her almost-new trailer), and shortly she was gone--and with her went a significant weight from my shoulders.  Her departure also opened up my schedule for the winter--my off-work schedule, that is--and, having completed a fair work list on our current boat, Glissando, last winter, my side of the shop was free for a new project.

This was exciting, and though I'd vacillated a bit over the years as to when--or whether or not--to begin the Seabreeze project, with a generally free winter weekend schedule ahead, work proceeding smoothly, and other factors, it seemed that the forces of nature had aligned properly and clearly pointed to the need (and desire) to begin this project.

Additionally, back in August 2009 I'd gone sailing with a friend aboard his Seabreeze sloop, and the experience rekindled my desire for all the design had to offer.  Another friend sent me a photo of a beautiful Seabreeze yawl he'd seen on Cape Cod, which gave me a bit of additional inspiration.

So, despite the numerous obstacles ahead (a derelict, burned boat in utterly dismal condition; the amount of time the project would take; the amount of money the project would almost assuredly cost; etc.), I could hardly wait to begin.

A note on the name, or lack thereof:  as of this writing, my wife and I were debating a pair of possible names for the boat.  While we'd initially chosen the name Pixie shortly after purchasing the boat, in the intervening years I'd come to consider a certain name with special meaning in my family, but we'd yet to make a final decision.  So for the time being, I'd have to refer to the boat in an unpleasantly impersonal way:  Seabreeze #16, the Seabreeze, or, in the specific context of this website, "the boat". 

With a semi-free afternoon on my hands, I took the opportunity to uncover the boat and move her into the shop, where she'd spend the winter and beyond, depending on other demands on the shop space.  She looked about the same as when I covered her--no better, no worse.

    

While the exact route the project would take would only be determined as it happened, I figured the first orders of business--and likely a winter's part-time work, anyway--were to demolish the interior and rid it of all the burned and smoke-damaged pieces and parts, and to remove the remaining vestiges of fire damage from the interior and exterior of the hull and, with luck, repair these and adjacent areas.

         

On the brief trip to the shop, the boat passed Glissando (now on the hard after the season), and I couldn't help offering these comparisons of the current and future boats.

    

Soon, she was in the shop and ready for work to begin.

         


Total time today:  2 hours

Previous | Next
 

Site Design & Content 2004-2012 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All Rights Reserved.
Questions and Comments 
Site V 1.0 went live on 12/12/04
Site V 2.0 went live on 8/3/08
This site is now static and no longer updated.