Home Page | The Story | The Project | Update History | Contact


Project Log:  Sunday, October 18, 2009
Home Page > The Project > Project Logs > 10/18/09

Some of the overhead liner was still in place after yesterday's blitz, so I turned to the task of removing the final sections.  First, I used a hammer to knock free the remnants of tabbing from the two head bulkheads; the tabbing came free from the deck structure with minimal effort.

    

Next, I made a series of cuts with the angle grinder and cutoff wheel to saw the liner into sections, which I then pried down and disposed of.  I used my my last good cutoff wheel, and had to resort to some thinner, less effective ones to finish up the cuts, leading to some frustration when, during removal of the last section over the old V-berth, I discovered that the cut hadn't gone all the way through and what remained wouldn't release.  After breaking two cutoff discs trying to finish the cut, I resorted to the reciprocating saw and got it done.  With the type of pleasure borne only from seething frustration, I heaved the last section into the cockpit.

         


What a mess beneath the liner.  It was clear that most of the gobbed-on adhesive material never even made contact with the ill-fitting liner, sentencing me to many hours of future grinding to bring the cabin trunk to some level of acceptability for the new work ahead.  Ho hum.

         

With the saw still in hand, I made a few additional cuts in the interior to remove various remaining bits around the old head compartment:  the section of the mast support bulkhead that still extended above the cabin sole and the remains of the adjacent bulkheads and head platform.  This opened up the area further.

    
 

I also cut out a portion of the full-width aft bulkhead that defined the aft extent of the cabin, to remove charred material and open the access to the cockpit lockers and engine room, where I had lots of work ahead.  For now, I left a "ring frame" of the old bulkhead in place to ensure support to the aft end of the hull, which had been weakened by the fire.

         


I tried ripping the old V-berth shelves out, but they were tabbed to the hull and resisted prybar efforts.  I decided to wait till I had more cutoff wheels in stock, when I could make short work of the shelves.

Before cleaning up and calling it a day, I installed a 5" flap wheel on my angle grinder and test-sanded a portion of the inside of the cabin trunk (where it was charred and blackened by the smoke from the fire) and the overhead, to see how the beads of resinous adhesive that had been installed ostensibly to secure the fiberglass liner would sand.  THe blackened laminate of the cabin trunk cleaned up easily, and I was relieved that it'd  be a fairly straightforward task to clean those areas up, and also that the blackened sections were not indicative of any structural damage.

         

The overhead material--the thick, sinuous beads of resin--also sanded with relative ease, though its thickness would require quite a bit more time to remove.  But at least it was resinous and not some sort of flexible, tacky adhesive, which would have gummed up the disc and made removal a nightmare.  I planned to begin some of the next steps of interior preparation next week, but for now I cleaned up the boat inside and out and called it a day.

    

Total Time Today:  2.75 hours

Previous | Next
 

Site Design & Content 2004-2012 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All Rights Reserved.
Questions and Comments 
Site V 1.0 went live on 12/12/04
Site V 2.0 went live on 8/3/08
This site is now static and no longer updated.