Home Page | The Story | The Project | Update History | Contact


Project Log:  Saturday, October 31, 2009
Home Page > The Project > Project Logs > 10/31/09

The days of dramatic daily visual transformations are over for the moment, dear reader.  Ahead lie many logs that will detail important progress in an overall sense--but will most likely become rather monotonous.  Bear with me through the dust, and we'll emerge on the other side together.

With all the major structure out of the accommodations portion of the boat, and the deck hardware and toerail stripped away, there was little left to do except grind, grind, grind.

I continued on the overhead and cabin trunk, and sanded the remaining portions to remove/reduce the thick resin beads left over from the old overhead liner installation.  I completed the overhead and inside of the cabin trunk, but left for now the sections beneath the sidedecks and foredeck--I'd sand those a little later.  I also left a couple thick blobs in the area of the old head, which were too big to grind and needed to be sliced away with a chisel; I didn't have this sort of tool on the boat today, and didn't want to stop in order to fetch them from the shop.

Since these areas would later be covered, my purpose in sanding was not to completely smooth the surface or remove the beads entirely, but to reduce them to a sound, static level upon which I could later work.


First, however, I sanded the entire inside of the hull on both sides, from the cabin sole/centerline to the top of the hull, and from the aft end of the cabin to the tip of the chainlocker.  In doing so, I removed all the various left over bits of tabbing, rough edges, and disgusting salmon-colored drunk tank paint that had been applied to many areas of the hull long ago. 

While this heavy session of grinding removed a lot of material, I did not attempt to completely remove all the paint in the weave of the woven roving, or to sand everything perfectly smooth with these aggressive tools.  There would be more sanding later, to the extent necessary and using less-aggressive tools, but for now the hull had made great strides towards preparedness for future steps in the project.

There were remnants of the old plywood bulkheads and knees still stuck in some of the tabbing in way of the old chainplates (the main chainplates), and since I didn't have any prying-type tools on the boat at this time to remove the wood bits, I left these areas unsanded for now while I finished all the other areas.  Tomorrow, I'd remove the wood bits and grind down the remaining tabbing in these areas.


This all created a fair bit of dust, which filled the recess where the head used to be to capacity when I swept it all in that convenient receptacle, not including the pile that formed on the shop floor below where I pushed some of the dust out one of the old through hull holes.  Later, I scooped the dust out of the head and into a trash can.

    

This was satisfying, if not particularly pleasant, work, and it needed to be done.  Getting back to the pure essence of this boat's basic structure was the necessary first step in her rebirth, and while the results were exciting for me, I doubt that endless photos of newly-sanded fiberglass will elicit the same response for the faceless masses.  That said, here is the end result of the day's efforts.  Nothing says "progress" to me more than a clean hull and deck stripped of the detritus of age, and this day saw good strides towards that end.

         


Total Time Today:  5.25 hours

Previous | Next
 

Site Design & Content 2004-2012 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All Rights Reserved.
Questions and Comments 
Site V 1.0 went live on 12/12/04
Site V 2.0 went live on 8/3/08
This site is now static and no longer updated.